Each time we meet to worship God, we have a group of people who are diverse. There are people of all ages, different nationalities, a range of socioeconomic status, and various physical attributes. The most important point is that each person has an eternal soul. We come together to enjoy our time of worship to God and fellowship with each other because of our common love for Jesus Christ and our desire to be His obedient disciples. This is as it should be in the body, or church, of Christ. It is a vivid demonstration of the unity among believers for which Jesus prayed in John 17. This love, fellowship, and unity is the desire of God for His people as seen in these Scriptures.
- Behold, how good and pleasant it is whenbrothers dwell in unity! It is like the precious oil on the head, running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes! It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion! For there the Lord has commanded the blessing,
life forevermore. (Psalm 133:1-3)
- A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:34-35)
- I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (John 17:20-21)
- May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 15:5-6)
- I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:1-3)
God has given us the greatest blessing of life by allowing us to know Him so we can be adopted into His spiritual family through our faith in Him and our obedience to His revealed will. It is pleasing to God when we are faithful disciples of Jesus, rejoice in our great salvation, and love one another. Let’s always seek to follow the truth of 1 Thessalonians 4:1, “Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more.”